Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Secret Words

Let me start by saying that I may need an intervention. I'll gush about my new-found love in a bit but first... a finished object. Or, a half finished object, depending on how you look at it.

This is my first Meida sock. It's pretty but a teensy bit too small but "fit" if I tug. These may go to my Mom since her feet are a tiny bit smaller than mine. I will be terribly disappointed since I really like this stretchy yarn. I really could have made them a bit longer since I have maybe 10 yards left of yarn, that would have given me a few rows and that would have made them perfect. But I am not a frogger if I expect to keep knitting on it, I am a tinker... and I ain't tinking back a whole toe! Lookee... pretty:









Anywho, I'm sure that I'll cast on for sock #2 soon. It needs to be done by end of July to count towards prizes so I won't let it linger.

Back to my intervention. I checked out "Mason Dixon Knitting Outside The Lines" from the library and I have really taken a liking to a few of the projects in there. I even made a copy of the basic sweater one with thoughts of actually making it. Then, I found Margaret. Meet Margaret:










Margaret is a Beautiful piece of Knitting. That there is Real Knitting. This jacket has secret words on it - and I think that's the part I like best. It's really a Nobel Peace Jacket... seriously. Here are the sayings: Front - from Martin Luther King Jr "The means we use must be as pure as the ends we seek." and from Gandhi: "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Back - from Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

How awesome is that? Very. That's right!

However. And here is where the crack part lives... This is done on size 6 needles (think between skewers and chopsticks) with 10 balls of yarn. I don't know if I would be able to knit 10 balls of anything! Of course I'm po and certainly wouldn't be able to afford 10 balls of nice yarn, so it'd be done in something else. Not Simply Soft since that is pretty slippery and I don't think it would keep it's charm. Wool Ease? Perhaps. I am afraid that I start a project of this caliber that I wouldn't ever finish. I don't think it's HARD particularly, just LONG. Now I have to think on this. Could I possibly ever wear it enough to justify 10 balls of yarn? Even with cheapy Wool Ease it'd still be over $30 and that's a lot for cheap yarn.

What do you think? Is this biting off WAY more than I can chew or is it just being optimistic?

No comments: