Sunday, February 18, 2007

Sorry,

but I have not been a very good blogger! No I havent really been terribly busy, just tired, and lazy. Sean is doing very well, and it turns out that his 3 chins weigh 3 lbs, 1 oz (how much he's gained since birth) - so now he's 9 lbs 6 oz. He's still pretty confused about the "nighttime is for sleeping" theory, but we're working on it. He also didnt take too kindly for me trying to trick him by putting cereal in his formula. Covertly too, he drank it dutifully and slept for 2 hours and woke up to be fed again. THATS when he struck... drank an ounce then yakked all over mommy and her night gown and his sleeper and the burp cloth and the couch. Tricky, that one! Very sneaky. So I'll wait a few more days (this was on Thursday) and try again. I'd think to try less, but it was only a teaspoon in 6 ounces of formula, so I thought that was as diluted as I could get and not be wasting my time trying to trick him. Wish me luck, I am very tired.

So, how was your V-day? Travis got tickets to Cirque du Soliel at Disney (La Nouba) so we went to that. I love that show, I've seen it 4 times now. This time we were on the 3rd row, off to the side. For most of it we had perfect seats, but not so much for the trapeeze thing - we were directly UNDER one of the ends. We saw the intimate bits of the performers, hazed a bit by the net. It was a very interesting vantage point though. These seats were fantastic for hot-silk-ribbon-flying-guy. He kinda flew over us which was great. Also, hot-bmx-guys came pretty up close and personal. And it was great for my favorite part: adorable-Chinese-yoyo-girls. We ate at Raglan Road - I had Shephards pie and Travis had steak. Yummo. It was a nice evening.

Yesterday (Sat) my mom and Cliff came over to visit. Cliff and Jake went to see Bridge to Taraibithia (or however you spell that) while Mom, Sean and I walked around the shops at the outside mall where the theater is. It was fun.

Then last night I swipped Cliff's ticket to join my mom, grandparents and aunts to see Riverdance. I was SOOO excited. I had wanted to see it but I couldnt do the $60 ticket! It was awesome. I think my favorite part was a song called "Trading Taps" where 2 street tappers (think Gregory Hines but young) were "challenging" 3 Irish tappers and it was hysterical. The street guys had a saxaphonist, the Irish guys had a fiddler and hey went on for a few minutes like this. Then they switched sides - the street guys were "Irish tapping" with the fiddler, and vice versa. It was hysterical - especially when the Irish guys were trying to dance with loose rythmn and the street guys did a couple bit where one was twirling the other like he was a girl. Such a great show. Anyway, moving on.

And because I'm a dork, I want to share a recipe I found. I made this Chicken Divan the other night after watching Rachel make it. It turned out really good, I impessed myself, but Jake wasnt impressed. Win some, lose some. Oh well. here ya go.

Chicken Divan
4 chicken cutlets (1.25-1.5 lbs)
1 tsp each salt, pepper, poultry seasoning
flour for dredging - about 1/4 cup, 2 Tbsp for sauce
2 Tbsp EVOO
Butter - 2 Tbsp for cooking, 2 Tbsp for sauce
8 white mushrooms sliced
1/3 cup white wine
1 1/4 cup chicken stock
1/3 cup half & half
1 Tbsp dijon mustard
2 Tbsp chopped tarragon

Season chicken cutlets with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning on both sides. Shake chicken and 1/4 cup flour in a gallon ziplock to dredge. In skillet over med-high heat, add 2 Tbsp EVOO and 2 Tbsp butter until melted together. Pan fry chicken until done - about 5-6 minutes on each side then remove to plate with paper towel, then cover with foil tent. Add 2 Tbsp butter to pan, let melt then add mushrooms and saute for a couple minutes. Add flour and combine evenly and cook a minute then add the wine. Let wine cook out for a minute then add the chicken stock and half & half. When the sauce bubbles again, add the dijon and tarragon and let simmer for a few minutes. She suggested serving it over white rice, but I had herb rice on the side.

This was really very good, and still good the next day for lunch. I was happy. Anyway, that's it for now.

No comments: